Recently we’ve adopted Taco Tuesday, and added a little Tequila in the mix to spice up the week. The day-to-day grind can get quite monotonous, so having a weeknight to look forward to (other than Friday!) can be refreshing.
Not as refreshing as the margaritas my fiancé made with this dish…
See, what we do is switch roles each week when deciding what the meal and the drink will be. This week, it was my turn to come up with the meal and his turn to make the drinks. I wish every week he’d make the drinks, because I downed this one. I barely drink on a regular basis, so thankfully he made it light for me, otherwise I’d have been on the floor.
I’ll get to the best margarita I’ve ever had – no joke – in another post. Right now, let’s start with the tacos.
Although I didn’t come up with the method of what makes these so unique, I like to think not many people have done this, so therefore I consider myself part of the trendsetting! I dubbed these monsters ‘Avodita Crunch Tacos’ because the hard taco shells are wrapped in avocado-basted flour tortillas (yes, white enriched flour tortillas – if you want to take the fibrous route, grab the whole wheat ones… just know they are not the same!), and once the heat and moisture of the beefless crumbles and the nacho ‘cheese’ get through the crunchy shells, they form this amazing wrap that holds everything together in the most scrumptious way possible.
I mean, look at this…
I wish I had more of that ridiculous ‘cheese’ to dunk this bite in…
I had to get a closeup mid-bite. I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t.
Avodita Crunch Tacos
A Mexican-inspired dish that'll leave you satisfied and feeling like you just celebrated Cinco De Mayo.
- 1 bag Beyond Meat beefless crumbles
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1/2 Tbsp oil (I used olive – you can omit if you choose and just use water)
- 1-2 ripe avocados
- 1-2 tsp lime juice (half of a small lime)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes
- 8 oz dairy-free nacho ‘cheese’ (I used Miyoko’s Kitchen Heat-and-Serve Sharp Cheddar sauce – it’s the best.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bag 6″ flour tortillas
- 1 box corn taco shells
- 8 oz chili beans (or beans of your choice)
- 4 oz vegan sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- 1. In a large sauté pan, heat 1/2 Tbsp oil or water over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium and add beefless crumbles. Continue to stir until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce to low and add 1/4 cup water and taco seasoning. Stir until incorporated, reduce heat to simmer and cover. If you’re adding beans, here’s where I’d throw them in with the beefless crumbles so they can get up to temperature and add flavor.
- Remove hard taco shells from the box and set aside. Slice both avocados length-wise, removing the seed and scooping the inside into a small bowl. Add lime juice, garlic powder and chili flakes/cayenne pepper and mash until well incorporated. After mixing, you can now heat your hard taco shells and be careful not to let them burn. Next, spread avocado mixture on flour tortillas starting in the center and moving outward, about 1 spoonful per tortilla. Remember that, as you squeeze the tortilla onto the taco shell, the mixture will spread outward, so try not to put too much on unless you want avocado all over your hands – there are worse things in life.
- After carefully removing heated hard taco shells, wrap the avocado-covered tortillas over the taco shells, pressing lightly and ensuring not to break the shells (although the good thing is that, if you do, it should still hold together – avocado is like duct tape… Fixes everything). Heat your nacho ‘cheese’ over medium-low heat until thick and boiling, continuing to stir. Slice tomatoes and other toppings and set aside. Assemble tacos with beefless crumbles, nacho ‘cheese’, toppings and any leftover avocado mixture, pour some drinks (see recipe below for Strawberry Fields Margarita) and don your sombrero for the party!
To stay up on new recipes and blog posts, subscribe to my blog!